Sunday, February 07, 2021

Hand to Source Reaching for Contact

Hand to Source Reaching for Contact

A presence of light.

Free form not bound by structure.

The desire to connect.

Fingers, a hand reaching.

To reach for, but not to grasp.

Defined by shadow and light.

True connection not felt, only imagined.

We observe the play of diffraction patterns portraying the illusive nature of perception:
  1. the source exists as revealed by movement of shadows.
  2. the shadows exist only as illuminated by the source.

I had fun moving my hand in front of the light source. Kind of like making shadow puppets. The slotted spaces between my fingers created a variety of fringed diffraction patterns. In some cases, my hand created lens-like effects resulting in some pretty cool patterns of light. You might even see an eye staring back at you. Don't ask me how this happens, it just does.

Creatively, I had no real prior intention, I was just messing around. I must admit that when I first saw an eye emerge it was a bit shocking to me. Personally, I like seeing eyes emerging on their own. Completely unexpected and quite mystical. After some practice moving my hand I was able to create more eyes. I really enjoy experimenting with different media when patterns arise spontaneously on their own.

Best regards,
Tom Greenbaum
20210205

No comments: